Germany. A country you might not at first recognize with electronic music actually has produced massive names in the industry that you just may not realize. ATB, Cosmic Gate, Boys Noize, and Paul Van Dyke are just a handful of names of absolute massive innovators in Electronic Music. One of the more recent and popular names to come out of the German electronic music scene of late is Thomas Gold. On to the US for a road tour, Gold is ready, armed with new tracks, a successful new podcast, and even sometimes a live DRUM LINE, if you’re lucky.
“The American crowd is one of my favorites. They’re definitely one of the craziest,” said Gold about the fans he’s experienced from playing plenty of show in the US. With a few days of his tour already under his belt, and more specifically for this occasion, his third Life In Color (Dayglow) show, Gold knows how to please the crowd. “I’d say you can expect a traditional “T-Gold” set tonight,” he answered, jokingly explaining what he was planning to throw at the hyped Pittsburgh crowd. “The Dayglow Concept is such a cool and I’m very excited for tonight.” Thomas Gold is onto big things and the only way to find out what’s next is to follow him on his journey.
One of Thomas Gold’s most recent projects, that he was very pleased to comment about is his relatively new Fanfare Episodes. Much similar in the way all podcasts work, Gold has the freedom to create free, downloadable sets, full of the latest, greatest, and even throwback house tunes for us to enjoy. “I just finished my thirteenth episode the other day” said Gold. “I’ve been getting great feedback on Facebook and Twitter.” The difference about Gold’s podcast that really is setting it apart in it’s early stages, is his ability to keep things fresh and ever changing. “I like to play my own tracks, some newer tracks from other producers and throw in some old stuff too.” Variety and providing listeners with a fresh set of ears each episode is key and Thomas Gold is on a roll, watch out Club Life!
Another aspect of Thomas Gold’s rise in popularity of late not only has to do with his second to none production skills, his grade A personality but his new live show concept of having a marching band accompany him on stage. What started with Gold checking out a few Youtube videos of US University marching bands, has turned into a masterful cohesion of blissful electronic sounds and thunderous percussion. “I noticed that all Universities in the United States have drum lines, so I contacted some and sent them some music,” said Gold. This idea literally has only been successful in all of its attempts, especially at this summer at Governor’s Island in NYC. “The bands wrote up music to go along with the songs,” said Gold. “We would meet up, practice for 2-3 days and then perform.” Gold emphasized how we made sure that the band would be playing along with him, not in front or behind, but one artistic concoction of musical talent. “It works so incredibly well with tracks like Marsch Marsch and The Wave.” This idea of adding live music to DJ sets is such a creative idea and has been used by the likes of Armin van Buuren and the late great DJ AM to amplify their performance. We’ll see if this idea catches onto other DJs and producers, but for now Thomas Gold is taking that concept by storm, providing an unmatched musical experience. Although Life In Color Pittsburgh did not have the chance to experience it, we can expect it in up and coming shows for sure!
Before Thomas was ready to take the stage and dazzle us with his stage presence and house music arsenal, he spoke of some up and coming productions that will eventually bless the ears of many. “I have a big track coming up with an incredible vocalist,” said Gold “And once this US tour is finished I will be heading back to the studio this fall.” What is to come next from the German powerhouse, we will just have to wait and find out. That night Thomas commanded the troops. Leading a mixed crowd of teens, college students, ravers, and just those looking for a good time into a storm of electronic synths. An absolute leader in the industry, Thomas Gold continues to bring the smiles, stir up the dance moves, and provide us with the music that makes us feel good. Check out Thomas Gold on Soundcloud, Facebook and download his latest Fanfare episode for free! Enjoy!
01. Afrojack & Shermanology – Can’t Stop Me (Kryder & Staar Vocal Mix) – Wall
02. Martin Garrix – Keygen (Original Mix) – Spinnin’
03. John Dahlback – Phoenix (Adrian Bood and Robin South Remix) – Toolroom
04. David Hopperman – Like A Like (DBN Remix) – White
05. Markus Binapfl – Follow Your Heart (Original Mix) – Apart12
06. Digitalism – Zdarlight (Fedde Le Grand & Deniz Koyu Remix) – Toolroom
07. Laidback Luke, Angger Dimas & Polina – Night Like This (Main Mix) – Mixmash
08. Denis The Menace & Syke’N’Sugarstarr – World In Your Hands (Tim Anderson Remix) – Subliminal
09. Dirty South & Alesso ft. Ruben Haze – City Of Dreams (Original Mix) – Phazing
10. Fedde Le Grand, Deniz Koyu, Florence and the Machine – Turn It vs. You’ve Got The Love (Thomas GoldLeg) – White
11. Firebeatz & Schella – Dear New York (Original Mix) – Spinnin’
12. David Jones – Darky (Original Mix) – Spinnin’
13. D.H.P. ft. Sunday Girl – Not Alone (Swiss Official Mix) – New State
14. Avicii ft. Eric Turner – Dancing In My Head (Avicii’s Been Cursed Remix) – Capitol
15. Leon Bolier & Marcus Schossow – Beach Chords (Original Mix) – Spinnin’
16. Dyro & Amba Shepherd – Sky High (Original Mix) – Strictly Rhythm
17. Steve Smith, Jaytech – Stranger (Michael Jay Parker Remix) – Anjunabeats