I wish I could take the trip from Pittsburgh out to the great city of Philadelphia this weekend for Made in America Festival, but unfortunately with school just starting this past week, that would be impossible for me. I hope though you guys will live vicariously through me and check out these sets that I recommend seeing for anyone out there going to the festival.
1) Rick Ross, Wale, Meek Mill (Maybach Music) – I have been in love with Meek Mill ever since his Flamers days, reppin from one of the hardest parts of the Greater Philadelphia area and basically making it. Maybach is one of the sickest groups out there to perform live, even though I’m pretty much only a fan of Rick Ross’s signature grunt. Wale and Meek are lyrical geniuses using some of the wildest word play and rhymes to ever grace the game. Performing on the Rocky Stage at 4:45 on Saturday they’re about to get Philly turnt up!
2) Otto Knows – Otto Knows has captured my heart for a while, and being taught by the legends that are Sebestian Ingrosso and Alesso can help any DJ explore new heights he never thought possible. Million Voices is always a crowd pleaser and I would hope he’d even dabble into his earlier work like his “Hide and Seek” remix! Performing the Freedom Tent at 4:45 it’d have to be a toss up which I would attend him or Maybach Music group but you make the decision yourself!
3) Passion Pit – After seeing some of the amazing displays Passion Pit had at their free concert for Carnegie Mellon, I must say this would an absolutely amazing set to see live. Their electropop style will keep the crowd entertained and going through the afternoon into evening that will help set the stage for the later performances. Catch Passion Pit on the Liberty Stage at 5:30!
4) Skrillex – the man who brought his original energy and style to the Electronic Dance Music scene, Skrillex has been a performer who I’ve searched out to watch perform but with no dice. His sets have been known to rage and I’m sure anyone would agree no one enjoys going quite as hard at a show then Skrillex…well maybe Rusko but he’s on his own level. Check him out on the Rocky Stage at 8:00pm!
5) Jay Z- The man who brought the festival together, watching HOV perform on the steps of the Art Museum would be something for the ages. One of raps greatest of all time, you can’t miss an opportunity to see him kill it at his own festival. If you even considered missing this set, I’d be extremely disappointed in you. The Rocky Stage at 9:45 is where it will all take place, don’t miss what is sure to be the perfect ending for the first night of the festival.
So let me start off by saying I am usually not the biggest fan of current rap right now. I’d rather listen to Jay-Z or Dre or Tupac than what most major rappers are putting out right now. However, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Rick Ross, and I honestly don’t know why. It can be the way he barks, his svelte physique, or his huge beard.
Actually, I do know why I like home more than many of his contemporaries. He can rap, which some other people in the game right now can’t. He’s got some sexy sexy beats. He gets some of the biggest names to get on tracks with him. And with the release of his newest album, “God Forgives, I Don’t” he continues to rap about his routes as a working his way from nothing to making more money than alot of others and having his weight in gold….which is a lot of weight.
I really am a fan of this album. He’s got some club hits, some smooth jams, and some great verses. He also brought some friends along, having some of music’s best being featured in tracks. This includes some old school (Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, Nas), up and comers (Meek Mill), some guys past their prime in my opinion (Usher, Ne-Yo, Andre 3000), and some of the biggest in the game (Drake, Wale).
Detroit’s Golden boy Big Sean has teamed up with Philly bred spitta Meek Mill to absolutely destroy this track. This has been a collab that I’ve been waiting to surface for a long time and they have not disappointed. Check out the track and download it. Meek Mill’s Dreamchasers 2 drops Monday and if this is just a preview of what’s to come, I can’t wait to get the mixtape.
The collaboration between Meek Mills and 2 Chainz makes this the hottest mix tapes out. Meek Mills has the up north flow and 2 Chainz bring the down south flow. Both of these artist are taking over the rap industries, making this mix tape a must download.